Monday 3 October 2011

Cookery classes, collaborations & a lack of concentration perhaps...

I've been such a a busy bee lately.  So many irons in the fire.  Which is good, but I do think I need to focus.  Focus on what I want, the food I want to make and who I want to work with.  Unfortunately all this activity has meant a week away from home, but it makes me appreciate it all the more now I'm back (apart from armies of the teenagers that appear to have moved in).  

With the inmminent launch of my dining club (aka supperclub, underground restaurant or whatever you want to call it) we've been working hard to get the set up just right.  Lee's working on some dining music while I blog.  I'm very excited about the launch night and been working hard on perfecting dishes.  Both dates are now booked up, but I will post some new dates to the website soon.

I had an enjoyable evening last week with a Cracking Good Food cookery class, a local social enterprise company that aims to give people the skills to cook seasonal, nutritious and cost effective food from scratch.  The enthusiastic students did a fantastic job of their cauliflower stuffed parathas.  I hope to do another new class with them again early next year.

This weekend I spent a day teaching a Streetfood Masterclass at The Vegetarian Society's Cordon Vert cookery school.  Again, great fun although a long day for a Sunday and I forgot to give them a break!

I've also been busy working on the menu with Tampopo Co-founder David Fox for the Manchester Food & Drink Festival dining event, Tuesday 11th October.  More details can be found here: http://foodanddrinkfestival.com/event/festaurant-presents-mekong-beyond-an-east-asian-food-odyssey/
  
We've come up with a really exciting East Asian feast, in between sharing travel stories.  Not surprisingly we have a lot in common when it comes to travel and food.  The menu includes Tampopo classics and some travel inspired dishes with a fine dining twist.  I'm VERY excited.  Not least to be working with such an experienced team.  Tickets can be booked online via the MFDF website or at Tampopo Triangle, Exchange Square or Tampopo Albert Square.

 
Mekong & Beyond
5 Course Tasting Menu:
£39 pp (including ½ bottle wine or equivalent)

Asian Cocktail
With Thai prawn crackers

Vietnamese Lettuce Wrap
Mint, Asian basil, coriander, cucumber,
with a chilli, ginger and garlic sambal

Asian Dumplings
Trio of dumplings including gyoza stuffed with exotic mushrooms,
glassy steamed dumpling filled with fresh crab or smoky tofu,
& crispy wonton filled with chilli squid or Asian vegetables.
All served with Asian pickles & dips.

Singapore Laksa with Lobster & Clams
Yellow noodles, lobster & clams in a fiery coconut broth,
with mint, cucumber, red onion, tofu & lime
or
Singapore Laksa with Smoky Tofu (v)
Yellow noodles, crispy smoky tofu in a fiery coconut & macadamia broth,
with mint, cucumber, red onion & lime

Malaysian Rendang served three ways
Rich coconut curry served with beef, tempeh & jackfruit,
served with lime rice and snake bean & watercress fritters

Vietnamese Creme Caramel
Coconut caramel pudding served with caramelised pineapple & ginger wafers

No comments:

Post a Comment